Waxing has been a beauty treatment for centuries now. I think it’s one of the oldest hair removal methods in the world. Yes, ladies did wax even back in the ancient times, which may come as a surprise to some of you.
More and more of us don’t want to bother and go to salons to get our hair waxed anymore. It’s much easier to do it at home but, obviously, you need to know a thing or two before getting yourself into it.
This beauty procedure can either end up very well or very badly. I’ve certainly experienced both! I wanted to make the whole procedure a little bit easier for you.
Basically, I did some research and found the best hard wax products out there. They should work quite well. I’m going to review each product afterward as well.
This blog is supported by readers purchasing featured products. When you buy products with my links, I earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Here is my full affiliate disclosure.
What's the Best Hard Wax?
Here are some of the wax products that worked quite well on me. I tried to think of both advantages and disadvantages these products have.
I hope it’ll help you to get an idea of what product will suit you. I know waxing can get messy and I’ve taken that into account too!
How to Choose Hard Wax
- Pick the right volume. E.g. bikini wax will need less of the product than a leg wax.
- Make sure you can melt the wax yourself. If the wax is not microwavable, you’ll need a wax warmer.
- Most waxing kits are particularly made for a body part. Buy the product that will remove the hair from the body part you need.
- Consider cruelty-free options.
Best Hard Wax Brands
Next time you’re looking for a waxing kit, these are the brands you should have in mind:
- Wax Necessities
Hard Wax Pros and Cons
- Waxing isn’t very messy. Doesn’t stick to the skin so much and is easy to clean up.
- Less painful than soft since it sticks to the hair more than to the skin.
- It grabs shorter hair much better. Thus, you don’t need to wait for hair to grow longer to wax.
- Not good for large areas. You should use hard wax only for small areas, otherwise, it may break.
- Costs more than soft wax.
- Maybe hard to find hard wax treatments in salons due to the price.
Waxing Kit Reviews
Here are my favorite hard wax kits. I’ve also included some advantages and disadvantages that each product has.
1. Best Hard Wax for Coarse Hair - GiGi All Purpose
Just as the name says this product has been produced to remove hair from bikini line. Gigi Brazilian Body Wax is mainly for very sensitive areas that happen to be smaller. Thus, you can use it for upper lip, chin, underarms and even eyebrows.
This product comes in a 14-ounce can. It may not seem like a lot but if you use it for small areas like underarms, it’ll probably last for a year or so. Of course, if you’re planning to use it for your bikini line, you’ll need more than one can for a year.
This product is designed for coarse hair. Thus, all the hairy ladies or men out there don’t need to worry about this wax is too fragile for them! It should be able to deal even with the thickest hair. That’s certainly good news for some of us.
- Lasts for around a year if you use it for underarms only.
- Works well on sensitive areas, tends to be gentle.
- Fast and efficient.
- Doesn’t come with a warmer, you’ll need to buy one separately.
- Breaks off in pieces if used on large areas.
- May leave out very short thin hair.
How to Use GiGi Kit
Firstly, make sure to get the thickness of the layer right. It should be of around ¼ inch. Otherwise, the wax may break off and you’ll end up as hairy as you had been before. Try the wax on your arm or leg first.
But, don’t spread it all over the skin. A small patch will do. Secondly, once you apply the wax with a spatula, let it cool for around 20-30 seconds. Thirdly, pull the wax slowly and evenly. You cannot just rip it off, because it will probably break.
2. Best Hard Wax for Face and Underarms - BodyHonee
This product is indeed special since it’s cruelty-free. BodyHonee is a company that’s been around since 1980’s.
It strives to create natural products that are environmentally friendly. I think they’re succeeding at it and BodyHonee Kit is an example of that success. It’s quite handy since the product is microwavable.
You only need to heat it for around 3 minutes and you’re good to go.
It’s very practical and probably that’s the reason why it’s my favorite hard wax out there. The product is natural, has no preservatives, and has never been tested on animals!
It also contains plant-based chlorophyll that happens to have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Those are all the reasons why this is the best wax you can find out there.
- It’s microwavable, no need to spend money on a warmer.
- Comes with 2 wooden spatulas and 2 soothing post depilatory wipes.
- Leaves you with smooth skin.
- Can get quite messy if you are not very experienced.
- Not as effective as other wax products.
- Effectiveness tends to worsen after reheating.
3. Best Hard Wax for Legs and Large Areas - Necessities Azulene
Made in Italy – a beautiful country next to the Mediterranean Sea. This wax stands out for its dark color, which helps to see wax better and remove more hair at a time.
It consists of chamomile extract that has soothing properties. That’s especially important when you’re removing hair. Besides that, it hardens quite fast and saves a lot of time for those in a rush. Comes in a can of 14 oz, so can last for a while.
The product has just come out in the USA market, therefore it’s new to us. But, it does work and tends to catch even the shortest fairest hair. It’s also suitable for large body areas. That’s mainly the reason why it’s on this list.
- Dark color helps to notice leftover wax making it easier to clean your skin up.
- Chamomile extract soothes skin while removing hair.
- Doesn’t leave hair afterward.
- Can last for long.
- More painful than other wax products.
- You’ll need to buy a warmer for this one.
- Very stringy, can be annoying.
- Doesn’t come with spatulas.
4. Best Hard Wax for Brazilian - GiGi Bikini Wax
Another GiGi product. But, this one is actually microwavable. The wax has vitamins A, C, and E, which ensure the overall skin happiness! Unlike the GiGi wax, I’ve recommended before, this one is smaller in size.
Only 8 ounces. But, knowing the fact that you can save money on warmers, it makes sense why there is less of it. The product is also available in a jar, which is handy. All in all, the wax is like GiGi Brazilian Body Wax in terms of its properties.
- It’s microwavable.
- Removes even coarse hair.
- Works great on the face doesn’t hurt and leaves skin smooth.
- You’ll need to buy your own spatulas.
- Very messy, doesn’t melt very easily.
- The container may break, be careful.
Hard Wax vs. Soft Wax
Hard wax is a peel off wax that you need to apply with a spatula. The layer should be thick so that later you’d be able to remove it with your fingers.
Soft wax, on the other hand, is liquid and requires waxing strips to apply. Since it’s liquid, it tends to attach to the hairs better and therefore works well on large areas.
However, it’s much more painful than hard wax.
Where Hard Wax Is Usually Used
While the hard wax is great and it’s not as painful as soft wax, it works better on some parts than the others. It can be pretty practical when used in one way and absolutely the opposite if used differently.
It makes sense to either try it on different parts or think how you could incorporate it into your life. Or you could just listen to me! Anyway, here are the body parts you can confidently try these products on.
1. Bikini Area
Brazilian waxing becomes so much easier with hard wax mostly because it’s not as painful. Ripping of hair in small patches makes sense when it comes to doing it down there.
At the end of the day, removing fewer hairs at the time is less painful no matter what body parts we’re talking about.
2. Face Area
The face is both sensitive and fragile. We usually don’t have loads of hair on this part too. If anything, you’re most likely just going to remove a few hairs from upper lip area and that’s it. Thus, this wax might just do the job. It’s also less messy.
3. Underarm Area
Since the hairs on underarms only cover a small area, hard wax can work on that just right. From my own experience, it tends to be super quick and it doesn’t annoy skin as much as soft wax does.
I do hope you’ve found these reviews useful. Waxing can be quite a procedure, so it’s important to get the right products for it. I tried to give you the mixture of them, both microwavable ones and the ones that need a warmer.
Many of them contain vitamins and extracts that help to soothe skin and keep it hairless for at least 4 weeks. I hope you’ve enjoyed all my reviews. Have a lovely day and take care!